I just ran across this quote and it's worth thinking about and discussing next week.
“Old George Orwell got it backward. Big Brother isn't watching.
He's singing and dancing. He's pulling rabbits out of a hat. Big
Brother’s busy holding your attention every moment you're awake. He's
making sure you're always distracted. He's making sure you're fully
absorbed. He's making sure your imagination withers. Until it's as
useful as your appendix. He's making sure your attention is always
filled. And this being fed, it's worse than being watched. With the
world always filling you, no one has to worry about what's in your mind.
With everyone's imagination atrophied, no one will ever be a threat to
the world.”
-Chuck Pahlaniuk
We haven't read 1984 (Orwell's book), but like Brave New World it envisions a dystopian future. Unlike Brave New World, 1984 focuses on authoritarian control -- people are aware of the limitations imposed upon them by "Big Brother" (a watchful, terrifyingly powerful government) -- but they are too afraid to do anything about it. It seems like the quote above supports Huxley's fears as we've discussed in class. As you look around 2019 America, do you think he's right? Please comment with your ideas. Mahalo.
- Home
- Member Blogs
- About Montaigne
- Literature Analysis
- Montaigne #2: On Education
- Montaigne #3: On Reading
- The Right to Your Opinion
- "I never learned to read!"
- KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
- Montaigne #4: On Habits of Mind
- The Socratic Method
- Big Questions
- Richard Cory
- A Modest Proposal
- Canterbury Tales
- Résumé Template
- The Art of Hosting Good Conversations Online
- Hamlet
- Lit Terms
- Macbeth
- Brave New World
- SPRING TERM PAPER
- SPRING FINALS SCHEDULE
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
thank you
As often as I say it, I feel like I don't say it often enough: Thank You. Thank you for your effort, your insight, your willingness...
-
Here are the questions you'll need to ask the author of the story you just read: 1. Did you mean for your story to imitate / describe...
-
Today we are janitors and we are creators. AGENDA: 1. Clean up. Think back on any assignments you missed, or any opportunities for cr...
-
JOURNAL TOPIC: Sometimes ideas from class stick with us and sometimes they don't. Describe an idea that you learned in class that has ...
I think the part where big brother(the government) is trying to keep you distracted has some truth to it but when they say no one will be a threat to the world I can't see that ever happening with all the crime has increased over the years I just see it getting worse because people know fewer ways of coping with there emotions.
ReplyDeleteAs I see the America in 2019 , the government has been distracting us from the society we actually live in , it hasn’t been the best lately because of the crimes going on & the injustices the president has done. The government is consuming us to a society of terrifying ruling.
ReplyDeletePeople are distracted by anything to avoid a responsibility, or a chore, or anything important, because anything is better than work. Im guilty of this as well, but its become more prominent in this society than ever before
ReplyDeleteThe devices we use everyday are distractions and only lead us to more . The government allows because they need they power .
ReplyDelete